Hello, secret pal, whoever you may be… Here are my answers to the SP9 questions. Use them wisely!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibres do you absolutely not like?
There are very few that I don’t like. I suppose I’ve never used anything that’s 100 percent acrylic, and I’d like to keep it that way, but some acrylic mixes can still be lovely. My favourite yarns tend to be soft and luxurious (RYC cashsoft, kidsilk haze) but I like to try all sorts of yarn mixes to see what they’re like.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Um, a big jiffy bag? And a plastic box for the straight ones, which belonged to my grandmother.
3. How long have you been knitting and how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting properly since February 2005. I learned to knit when I was tiny, but never advanced beyond the knit stitch (purling was beyond me). Then a couple of years ago I saw all sorts of online people talking about Stitch’n’Bitch, and that was the main catalyst for me learning to knit again (and, finally, learning to purl!).
I’d say I’m an intermediate knitter, now — I’ve not done anything really advanced, but nothing’s been hugely basic, either. I’d say I’m your fair to average knitter, quite slow and painstaking but I like things to come out well. Perhaps I’ll class myself as ‘advanced’ in a year or two.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
We-ell, yes I have an Amazon wishlist, but it’s so out of date that it hardly counts. So I’ll say no, for practical purposes.
5. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
Ahh, I’m rubbish at this kind of thing. I like all kinds of scents. Nothing too flowery or sickly, I suppose. That said, I quite like lavender as a relaxing bath oil… Sorry, next question!
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
On occasion, but not regularly.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Not very many other crafty things, to be honest, and no I don’t spin.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Oh everything. Seriously, there’s very few types of music that I don’t like. And yes, MP3s are fine.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
Blues, lilacs, creams. No colours I don’t like, although I wouldn’t personally ever knit anything in black.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Is it me, or is this a weird question? I live with friends at the moment, although I hope to have moved in with my boyfriend by the time this Secret Pal is over. No pets in any of the households I do or will be living in, although I’d like there to be a cat. But, alas, there isn’t (yet!).
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
This is bizarrely specific, but OK. Yes, yes, no, no.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks and jumpers.
13. What are you knitting right now?
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
It’s not that I don’t, but I suppose I feel a little strange about a stranger spending their time making something for me.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Ooh, circulars every time. I do have a collection of straights, but they’re all ones I inherited from my grandmother. I knitted my third project on circulars and I’ve never looked back. And bamboo, for preference.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a yarn winder! Another object that belonged to my grandmother, but satisfyingly I found the exact same model still for sale through the interweb.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
It’s from the beginning of the year. Shh.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas baby, yeah!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Clutter? No, nothing really, other than an ever-increasing stash pile and collection of books.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Oh c’mon, telling you that would be just TOO EASY. But, if you are someone from outside of the UK, any types of yarn that aren’t easily available over here would be lovely. That said, if you’re inside the UK, I’ll take anything! And I do have one subscription, to Rowan magazine.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
Loads. Everything that I haven’t yet tried.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes! Only two pairs so far, but I expect there to be many, many more over the coming years. Foot measurements — everything’s about nine inches (length of foot, and circumference around the ankle).
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
10th of May (born in 1980, for those who are interested).
Aaand, we’re done.